Standing Cat Sequence
Benefits: Increases flexibility in the spine. Increases breathing capacity. Good for minor back aches.
Cautions: Lower back pain
- From a standing position lean forward with a straight back and place your hands on your upper legs. (fig 1) You may need to keep your knees bent.
- As you inhale keep your body in a straight line and lift your tail bone and your collar bones. Lengthen along the front of your body. Keep your shoulders away from your ears and neck lengthening. (fig 2)
- As you exhale reach your back upwards and drop your tail bone and head, drawing your abdomen in towards your spine. (fig 3)
- Return to the inhaling position and continue for 5 to 10 breaths. Move slowly and feel your back muscles gradually releasing and lengthening.
- Come into a standing position and rest.